All information is as April 18, 2016.
Ise-Toba-Shima is home to attractive sightseeing spots. The Ise area, centering on Ise Jingu, brings you the sense of Japan's long history. The Toba area is home to a famous aquarium and Pearl Island. The Shima area is popular for its beautiful coastlines and a theme park. In Ise-Toba-Shima, you can experience Japanese nature, history and culture in various ways and also savor fresh seafood and other Japanese foods. Ise-Toba-Shima has been also attracting attention as the host of the G7 Japan 2016 Ise-Shima Summit.
- Faith in nature deities
Primeval shrine considered the root of the Japanese spirit
- Ise Jingu has been the center of worship among many shrines across Japan since ancient times, when many people dreamed of visiting once in their lives. Traditionally, worshippers are recommended to visit Geku first and then Naiku.
Naiku, one of the two main shrines of Ise Jingu, which was founded about 2,000 years ago at the side of the Isuzu River flowing through the primeval forest, is located amidst a solemn atmosphere. It is dedicated to goddess Amaterasu-Omikami.
▸Place 1 Ujitachi-cho, Ise City
|Access||Take a Mie Kotsu bus from Kintetsu Ujiyamada Station and get off at Naiku-mae stop.|
Geku is dedicated to Toyouke-Omikami, the guardian of clothing, food, housing and all other industries. Approximately 1,500 years ago, the deity was enshrined here in the shadow of Ise's Mt. Takakura by being transferred from Tamba.
▸Place 279 Toyokawa-cho, Ise City
|Access||Approx. 10-min. walk from Kintetsu Iseshi Station|
- Experience Japanese food and culture while walking in a town overflowing with history.
- Nostalgic buildings constructed during the Edo to Meiji periods (1603–1912) were reconstructed in this district. It is home to restaurants, souvenir shops and resource centers where you can enjoy local foods and craftworks while feeling the rich history. Seasonal festivals and markets, where you can come in touch with Japanese customs and culture, are also held.
|Access||Take a Mie Kotsu bus from Kintetsu Ujiyamada or Isuzugawa Station and get off at Jingukaikan-mae stop.|
Butasute is a long-established meat shop. In the shop, you can savor sukiyaki and bowls of rice topped with beef. As a souvenir, Ise-niku-shigureni, or meat boiled in soy sauce, is recommended. A croquette, which is fried in front of the shop, is perfect for an eating tour.
Ise noodles, a specialty of Ise, consist of very thick and resilient noodles mixed in a sauce made from soy sauce and stock extracted from natural ingredients, and have a simple yet subtle flavor. Curry Ise noodles and Ise noodles topped with tempura are also popular.
This is a shop of everyday Japanese dango, or dumpling, confectionery. A salty-sweet soy sauce flavor, brown sugar syrup flavor, and various other flavors are offered. Try one while walking.
"Okage Dog" was created with a motif of dogs that visited the Grand Shrine of Ise in place of their owners. This souvenir shop offers a variety of original "Okage Dog" goods, including written fortunes, hand towels, and straps made of handmade Japanese paper. It also provides general information on Okage-Yokocho.
The specialty of this shop dealing with kamaboko, or boiled fish paste, is "Hiryozu," which is fried paste consisting of ground fish flesh and tofu mixed with vegetables and eggs. It is popular for its volume and good texture. You can buy one that's just been fried and then eat it while walking.
- This is the aquarium with the greatest number of farmed species in Japan. You can see a dugong, considered the inspiration for mermaids.
- In this aquarium, approximately 1,200 species of living creatures are exhibited. You can see a dugong, African manatees, and other rare marine animals. Sea lion and walrus shows, the sea otters' meal time, and a beautiful world seashell collection are also popular.
|Access||Approx. 10-min walk from TOBA Sta.|
- The pearl jewelry collection and demonstrations by ama, traditional local female divers, are highlights.
- It is on this island that culturing pearls succeeded for the first time in the world. On the island are a museum where antique jewelry and luxury arts and crafts are exhibited, a shop where high-quality pearl accessories can be purchased, and a restaurant featuring a nice view. You can see demonstrations of diving by ama, dressed in their traditional white costume.
|Access||Approx. 5-min walk from TOBA Sta.|
- You can fully enjoy nature, food and culture in Toba through seasonal tours.
- Various tours and events that enable you to feel the attraction of Toba are offered, including a lunch tour on an island where you can eat fresh fish in a fisher's village; a fishing tour with local fishers; an eating tour where you can visit restaurants and must-see spots around town for a short time; a see-through kayak tour; and a cooking experience session.
|Access||Approx. 5-min walk from TOBA Sta.|
Have a deep experience of Ise-Shima here!
Enjoy an ama diver's talk and fresh seafood while sitting around a stove.
You can visit an ama hut where ama divers rest, and listen to an active ama diver talk about fishing, and also eat seafood grilled on the stove. You can also have a commemorative photo taken with an ama costume on. Prior reservation is required.
▸Open hours Around 11:30 to around 16:30(By advance reservation only)
▸Closed Obon and New Year holidays and other unscheduled holidays
▸Place 819 Osatsu-cho, Toba City
* For details, visit the website.
|Access||Take a Kamome bus from Kintetsu Toba Station, get off at Adakoguchi stop and walk approx. 10 minutes.|
- The view of Ago Bay, home to 60 large and small islands, is very impressive.
- This is an approx. 50-minute cruise around Ago Bay on the sailing ship "Esperanza." You can fully enjoy a beautiful view of the deeply-indented coastline, islands dotting the bay, and "rafts of pearl oysters," which are used for culturing pearls. The ship stops at a pearl factory, so you can watch the process of inserting a pearl nucleus into a shell.
|Access||Approx. 2-min. walk from Kintetsu Kashikojima Station (departing from Kashikojima Port)|
- The Penguin Touch event, where participants can touch the back of a penguin and have their photo taken with it, is popular.
- This aquarium consists of the Sunfish Hall, with sunfish that can grow to a length of three meters; the Ancient Aquarium, where fish and fossils are exhibited under themes of ancient times; and other areas. In the Migration Fish Tank, where sharks and yellowtail swim freely, visitors can watch a fish feeding demonstration by an ama (female diver). A hands-on event, where participants can touch the back of a penguin, is also offered. (Prior reservation is required.)
|Access||Approx. 2-min. walk from Kintetsu Kashikojima Station|
- A variety of programs is offered that enable you to experience the nature and culture of Shima.
- Various programs that allow you to enjoy yourself with your family members or as a couple. (Prior reservation is required.) Outdoor programs such as sea kayaking, walking inside a water ball, and mountain biking experience program are popular. A town walking tour where participants wander while seeing views of a fishing village and seaside is also provided.
|Access||Approx. 20 minutes by taxi from Kintetsu Ugata Station|
- Enjoy the highly strategic course while viewing the beautiful scenery.
- Spacious golf course resort located in Ise-Shima National Park, surrounded by the beautiful sea and lush greenery
This is the course where the only annual women's professional golf tournament in Japan, hosted by the Ladies Professional Golf Association, has been held since 2006.
|Access||Approx. 3 minutes by taxi from Kintetsu Kashikojima Station|
- Resort hotel for adults, offering a relaxing time
- This hotel is located on a hill overlooking Ago Bay, commanding a superb view. Twin rooms overlooking the sea as well as the swimming pool and Villa (two-story cottages) are popular. It is equipped with a relaxation spa (reservation required), tennis courts, and large bathing areas. Rental bicycles are also offered.
|Access||Approx. 7 minutes by shuttle bus or taxi from Kintetsu Kashikojima Station|
- The hotel has a variety of facilities where the whole family can enjoy themselves together, including an amusement pool and natural hot springs.
- The hotel is equipped with extensive facilities, including an enjoyable amusement pool, natural hot springs commanding a superb view, an aesthetic salon, karaoke room, and an observatory where you can view the stars with a large astronomical telescope. At dinner, you can savor raw fish and other fruits of the rich sea in buffet style.
|Access||Approx. 25 minutes by shuttle bus (fixed-time departures; Check the schedule in advance) or taxi from Kintetsu Kashikojima Station|